Monday 30 June 2008

Back to Back weekend of FUN in the waves - NOT !!!

Saturday was the start of a long long weekend . A steady drive down to Dover , sun shinning all looking good so far ! The plan was a 7 hour swim today and I was mentally ready for it . Arrived at Dover and there was a stiff breeze whipping up the sea - well it wasn't flat calm !!!!
My only worry today was how my ankle would be , but after about an hour I was able to kick as normal. The swim was tough due to the washing machine sensation at one end of the harbour . My first feed at 2 hours was warmly received , mentally after that first two hours each hour is easier just counting down until I feed again . We had a variety of foods , banana, milky way and chocolate roll , and of course warm blackcurrant with maxim ......Yummy !!!!
Towards the end of my swim I really could feel the sun burning my face shoulders and back - great strap makes !!
4pm and I am finished , delighted that I made it and no jellies ...Hurrah. I headed up to my hotel and soaked in the bath watching the tennis for over an hour ! I had a very lazy evening , in fact I felt deadbeat so TV and an early night .
After 9 hours sleep I didn't feel too sore but mentally today was going to be tough . There was still too many waves for my liking and 6 hours wasn't going to be easy. The first two hours were the hardest , the washing machine cycle was tossing me all over - I thought at one point I wasn't actually moving forward !! The cold really got to my little finger and my toes during the first two hours and I had to dig deep and push my self to swim faster in order to get the blood pumping round to my extremities , thank goodness it worked. The last few hours I avoided the washing machine and swam at the other end of the harbour , much calmer .
3pm and I am all done , my back to back swims completed, mentally that test was just what I needed ....just need to keep awake as I drive back to London .

2 comments:

Hoffy Swims said...

Hi Nuala, thanks for a great weekend. I really enjoyed it (even if you did beat me every time!!!). Have linked your blogsite to mine and put the photo of us feeding on mine.

C U Soon.

Hoffy. x

Laura said...

By 'blood pumping round to my extremities' do you in fact mean your VERY long arms?
L xx