Saturday 12 July 2008

12th July - Dover in the sun .........ish !

Saturday was to be the penultimate weekend of training in Dover harbour . Usually procedure up at 5am leave at 6am and arrive at Dover 8am - via my usual pertrol station for a hot chocolate . The sea looked great and very inviting . Five hours today - was to be four but tomorrow I cant do four as advised so it was swiftly changed to five today and only three tomorrow . As usual the first two hours were the hardest but after that each hour feed was my goal - helps mentally to think of small challenges not the whole picture. As five hours approached I was more than happy to be getting out . Not my greatest swim today but I managed it OK , the sun when out was great but the dark clouds weren't too pleasant . As I chatted on the beach whilst getting dressed I heard a few were heading to Shakespear Beach - mental note need to go with them as this is where Mum & Dad and any others waving me off will be . Off we went in a car convoy...........shakespeare beach everything becomes very real when you look out across the sands and sea to France. All that seperates us are the busiest shipping lanes in the world !!! Very Very scary but very very real too .
Many thoughts went through my mind as I then headed back home , I have done the hard work , its just a time to keep focussed and prepare mentally - as if I havent been for the last ........forevever !!!! Sleep is calling .........

No comments: